Our little family

Our little family
Wife Woman, Husband Man, Catcher and The Hoskinettes.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Changing perspectives...

I don't know about every one else, but it seems like my mind is pre-wired so that when i look at someone for the first time, i instantly notice if something is off or wrong with the way they look or are dressed. It is terrible to admit this, because it's something i'm always trying to tell my kids not to do....the whole "don't judge a book by it's cover." Although i don't think it necessarily makes me think they're weird or dumb or anything like that, but i find myself fixated on that thing, like if their hair is a mess, or if their shirt doesn't match their pants, or if their shoes are old and dirty. I know i know, it's awful to say i do that, but i must say it because it is true.

About a week ago I was in the van at a stoplight, all four children in tow. A man stood waiting for the "walk" signal, and was very near to the car, so that i could see him quite clearly. As i glanced at him I instantly thought "yuck, what is he wearing?" and even though i didn't say those words out loud, i was appalled at myself! I thought, this is a child of Heavenly Father, he has value, just as we all do, in the eyes of God. I didn't want my first impression of a stranger to be an opinion on how horribly i thought he was dressed... what did that really tell me about him? Nothing! (this was a very long stop light) So i looked at him again, and thought, find something beautiful about him. I forced myself to look for something else, and when he looked my direction i noticed he had very nice skin. And while i hadn't really formed an opinion on this person, i did notice that when i looked at him and thought about the negatives in the way he looked, i had a negative general feeling towards him, however when i looked at him thinking of something positive it brought a smile to my face and i felt ....well... positive about him. I suppose that's a little clice, but it was like a whole new insight for me.

I may hate the fact that i have always noticed the bad things when i first met or saw someone, and maybe it's a sign that i have a naturally negative attitude, assuming there would be something bad about this person and looking for it right away. But I have decided to change my whole outlook. And so far it is really working! Now whenever i see someone on the street, or walking by me, i instantly look for something good, or beautiful or nice about that person. Assume the positive. At first it was difficult it was forcing my mind to look for something first that didn't come naturally. But now, after a week, i am really feeling like it's becoming habit, and it's a habit i like! I am sorry if i ever judged you for something you wore. I know i most of the time am not looking my best and hoping that is not what people are focusing on, so it stands to reason that i should do unto others as i would have done unto me right? Right.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to change - but if anyone can do it you can. What a noble goal, to change the way you think...you are awesome and I always think you look nice (especially your hair - you have so many cute updo's lately :)

    ReplyDelete