Our little family

Our little family
Wife Woman, Husband Man, Catcher and The Hoskinettes.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

hair cuts and the reasons behind them

You know it seems to me, most of the time when i cut my hair, it is a very spur of the moment decision.

For about a year now I have been intentionally growing my hair out. Adam and I had made a deal, since he liked my hair long. The deal was that if he would get REAL haircuts, instead of just buzzing his hair off, then i would grow my hair out. That way we both got each other's hair jus the way we liked it. I love when he gets a nice haircut, it looks so classy, a buzz all over just doesn't show off how adorable he is. And I really hadn't had my hair long since we got married, so it was a deal, and for about a year we both kept it up! My hair had gotten so long, and as a reference i think most women would understand it was down to the bottom of my bra line on my back. Quite long by any standard. A few weeks ago Adam needed a haircut and decided to buzz it instead of getting a real cut. Now in all fairness he really did it to save money because he can buzz it at home, and getting a professional cut costs 12-15 bucks. So as soon as he did it he told me i could feel free to cut mine since he was no longer keeping up his end of the deal. And for a while i said no, i actually was enjoying it long. And for the most part i think i was, when i had time to make it look nice.

With how much hair I have though, i began to realize the impracticality of keeping it long. First of all, while you might think i was saving money on less haircuts, i was probably spending near as much as a haircut would cost on shampoo and conditioner alone...i cannot believe how much my long hair took! And then there's the fact that my hair doesn't do "wash and go." it's neither truly curly or straight. I can wear it straight or curly but both take a lot of work! To wear it straight means at least an hour of blow drying, or a full day of air drying and straightening the following day. However the DAY to airdry is always a bad hair day, and straightening itself takes an additional hour. What mother of four (one of whom is a newborn) has 2 hours to fix her own hair???? Not this one!

So yesterday i woke up with a headache and that topped off the hair fiasco. My hair is so heavy when i put it up wet, but that was all i had time to do, and with a headache already brewing, putting my hair up was the bobby pin that broke the camel's back! Later that day i told The Husband Man i wanted to shave my head because my hair was so much work and if i didn't do the work, i just put it up day after day, which was now giving me a headache. So after a few minutes of discussion, i left in search of a salon to chop it off!

Apparently monday is NOT a good day of the week to get a haircut though. I went to 5 salons and ALL were closed, despite their hours sign specifying otherwise. When i finally found one open, they told me that a lot of salons don't stay open mondays if they don't have appointments booked...which does not make sense since each salon also boldly blazoned the LIE "Walk Ins Welcome!" which should also stipulate "unless we didn't feel like coming in today because nobody who was NOT a walk in was here." After salon number 3 i began to wonder if it was God trying to tell me how much i might regret the idea of a hair chop and that maybe i should just give up on the venture all together. I was not so easily swayed though. I finally lucked out with number 6, and the girl who cut it off was great. She cut off 8 inches, and yet it is still past my shoulders and will probably be considerably long again in no time. But for now my head feels about 10 pounds lighter especially when my hair is wet. I keep having to remind myself how little shampoo i need to use and i probably have a rash on my back from brushing too far past the hair due to old habits and their knack for a hard relentless death! Anyway, this may have been another spur of the moment haircut, but i think it is the least regretted of all of them, however not a single person has noticed who didn't have it pointed out to them. I do not think anyone knew how long my hair really was...all that work for nothing.

1 comment:

  1. I want a picture :) I'm dying to see how your haircut turned out! I bet you look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete